[vlc-devel] Re: Lots of "--datarootdir" warnings building extras/contrib on Cygwin

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 12:47:45 CET 2006

Super, thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: vlc-devel-bounce at videolan.org [mailto:vlc-devel-bounce at videolan.org]
On Behalf Of Rémi Denis-Courmont
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:36 AM
To: vlc-devel at videolan.org
Subject: [vlc-devel] Re: Lots of "--datarootdir" warnings building
extras/contrib on Cygwin

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 09:31:46PM -0500, Mark Moriarty wrote :
> I've updated to the very latest (after Xtophe backed out a commit),
> been compiling the last 7 hours.  I jhust checked, and there was this
> huge block of warnings (around 60 of them in a row):

autoconf 2.60 aligned with common Linux distribution practice (maybe
different from *BSD, though - not sure) of putting manpages, localizations
and info pages (VLC does not use ifno pages) into
PREFIX/share/{man,locale,info} instead of PREFIX/{man,locale,info}. It also
adds support for the "documentation" directory PREFIX/share/doc/PACKAGE.

The warning is there to indicate that some Makefile seems to bypass the
datarootdir setting (=PREFIX/share by default). Typically, this means, there
is something like:

  localedir = $(prefix)/locale

or even:

  localedir = $(prefix)/share/locale

instead of:

  localedir = $(datarootdir)/locale

VLC does not have the "bug" (though included gettext/libintl may have).
This is usually harmless, but you can bug the upstream maintainers anyway.

looking for a job
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/infos/CV-en.pdf