[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast streaming over wifi

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Wed Nov 8 09:09:18 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:16:32AM -0800, Greg Shepherd wrote :
> I think you may missunderstand the application of an FEC. FEC's do not
> correct random bit errors per-packet - if the checksum fails, drop the
> packet. FECs repair data over a protect period; ie, some number of
> packets as determined by the particular FEC and it's tunable
> parameters. So when a packet is lost (or dropped due to failed
> checksum) the data in that packet can be calculated by using the
> received data in the other packets of the protect window and the data
> in the symbol packets for that same window.

Oh, now I see.

Then the main problem might be that VLC is not quite capable of getting
input from multiple sockets at the moment. Other than this, it should be
relatively easy, though I think it would be better to implement this
kind of things in libraries rather than in VLC.

looking for a job
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/infos/CV-en.pdf