[vlc-devel] Re: [Patch] 0.9.0 Unicode directory access - Tested

xxcv xxcv1 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 21 14:17:02 CET 2006

xxcv wrote:
> Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> 	Hello,
>>
>> Le dimanche 19 novembre 2006 12:43, xxcv a écrit :
>>
>>> Please review the attached patch for 0.9.0, it support Unicode
>>> strings for directory access module.
>>> I've tested this patch on windows with directory DnD and right click
>>> "Play with VLC media player" both works as expected.
>>>
>>> Please apply this patch if reviewed ok, thanks.
>>>

>> Sorry, but this does not sound very good to me. You are modifying the
>> semantics of vlc_*_wrapper to accept UTF-8 on Win32 (but still native
>> on other platforms). skins2 and mkv still need these and are most
>> likely broken by your patch. If it had been that easy to implement
>> utf8_opendir on Win32, I would already have done it.
>>

> Thanks for pointing it out :)
> but this is my new attempt at hacking VLC for unicode support for
> win32, please excuse my code.
>
> Thanks again, i appreciated it :)

@courmisch
Just one more question about vlc_opendir_wrapper() because it is under
this => #if defined(WIN32) && !defined(UNDER_CE)
which indicated it is only run or concern on win32 or CE platforms,
isn't it still safe to make such implementation stay as simple as possible ?

Regarding 9X/ME support won't it be okay with changeset 17909 ?

Please explain because i don't understand the VLC source code well.

thanks