[vlc-devel] rtsp issues

Liu Andy liuzhihua_2003 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:54:01 CET 2006

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a rtsp VOD service, by using VLC 0.8.5 as both media
player and media server, then I meet some issues as following:

related files:
.../modules/misc/rtsp.c, main file for rtsp VOD server
.../modules/demux/livedotcom.cpp, main file for rtsp VOD player

A MPEG 1 or 2 media file, with postfix "mpg" is used in my test.

1. separate ports for audio & video streaming. Port pair(source &
destination) for audio is different than that for video. For some reason, I
want to use only ONE port pair, i.e. audio & video can share the same port
pair, is there any method to do this within VLC ?

2. invalid port in SDP. In SDP part of response to DESCRIBE message, there
is following line:
    m=audio 0 RTP/AVP 14
Obviously, port == 0 here, the port actually used in RTP module seems to be
selected randomly. I want to use a real, correct and configurable port
here. Any solution ?

I checked samples of Helix, where only one port pair is used for both audio
and video; also, port value in SDP is correct. Seems VLC has some bugs
here.

Thanks advance !

BR
Andy