[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r17986 (md)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Nov 23 12:02:06 CET 2006

Le jeudi 23 novembre 2006 11:45, Marian Durkovic a écrit :

> > > This error:
> > >
> > > ipv4.c: In function `OpenUDP':
> > > ipv4.c:191: invalid lvalue in unary `&'
> >
> > Fix your compiler then, not VLC code. The code was valid.
>
> Making an application portable to many systems means suporting also
> something older than gcc-100.512.1028

We currently support gcc>=3.3. We don't care about 3.0-3.2 since they
are said to be terribly buggy (not that I never check that by myself
anyway). As for gcc 2.95, your "compile fix" is far from sufficient to
make it work anyway, and it would be a big waste of time. Older
versions are clearly out of scope.

icc 8.0 also works fine (on condition that your bootstrap with
autoconf>=2.59c) if you don't feel like using open-source compilers.

Even FreeBSD 4.x should be able to compile VLC (with USE_GCC=3.3+).