[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r17986 (md)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Nov 23 12:41:11 CET 2006

Le jeudi 23 novembre 2006 12:24, Marian Durkovic a écrit :
> > We currently support gcc>=3.3. We don't care about 3.0-3.2 since
> > they are said to be terribly buggy (not that I never check that by
> > myself anyway). As for gcc 2.95, your "compile fix" is far from
> > sufficient to make it work anyway, and it would be a big waste of
> > time. Older versions are clearly out of scope.
>
> You will probably be surprised, but 0.8.x versions including
> 0.8.6-branch compile fine with gcc-2.95 with my latest commits 17812,
> 17814, 17816 and 17817. This gcc version is the default on FreeBSD4.x

There are hundreds of ports in FreeBSD that ask for GCC 3.3 if not more
recent, many of which work fine on FreeBSD 4.x. I hardly understand
what you are complaining about. It's not like you could get a more
recent compiler with one line or shell (thank you the ports tree). I am
pretty sure adding the appropriate CC= and CXX= options to your
configure line is way faster for you and every body else here
than "fixing" the

Plus you did not seem to mind dropping Win9x so that you could get your
charset... now *surprise* you stick so hard to such an old FreeBSD
release which is mostly if not completely dropped upstream (I
understand they don't want to maintain 4 different branches). I feel
some hypocrisy here.