[vlc-devel] Automatic aspect and resolution switch when streaming

Bjørn Olav Ruud bjorn.ruud at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 16:42:54 CET 2006

Hi.

I'm transcoding a multicast MPEG-2 DVB stream to a transport stream
sent with multicast UDP. The resulting stream is encoded with MPEG-4
video and MP3 audio. The source TV channel usually sends content at
704x576 resolution (varying between 4:3 and 16:9), and occasionally
sends in 544x576 (DAR 4:3) resolution. The switch to this lower
resolution and back again doesn't go well, causing displacement and
green flickering corruption in the picture.

This problem might be related to ticket #791
(https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/791) regarding automatic aspect
switching.

I discovered that dumping the stream to file and playing the result in
VLC (Windows version 0.8.5) works fine, but playing the stream
directly fails as described above.

Is this a known issue? I have started looking at the code, but where
is aspect switching decided during streaming?

 -Bjorn Ruud