[vlc-devel] Re: New Patch for RTSP offset feature.

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sat Oct 7 18:50:32 CEST 2006

On 5-okt-2006, at 20:30, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> I *do not* favor including the part of this patch - in
> "live555.cpp" - that looks for the string ";offset=" in the
> "rtsp://" URL, and then uses this to determine the starting point
> for the RTSP "PLAY" command.
>
> This ";offset=" hack is totally non-standard, and in general it's a
> bad idea for clients - like VLC - to be modifying or interpreting
> the contents of URLs (beyond the initial
> protocol,hostname,portnumber part of the URL).  (I realize that the
> Amino set-top box (RTSP client) implements the same ";offset="
> hack, but that's no excuse for us to break standards also.)

I'm in favor of the patch if it is behind a "--rtsp-ncube" setting (i
believe this is nCube RTSP dialect).
And I agree with Ross partly on this YES it is retarded. But if
people wanna use it, they should be able to in VLC.
The amino boxes constitute a large part of our users.

> If we want to be able to pass a 'starting point' parameter to VLC,
> then this should be done as a separate command-line argument (or
> something set in the GUI), *not* as a hack inside the "rtsp://" URL.

I have to say though that i'm increasingly more inclined to let VLC
print Warnings that inform users they are using non-standard
protocols/equipment, and that they should inform the developers of
this stuff.

DJ