[vlc-devel] [vlc] Software and Hardware Requirements for State-of-the-Art Research in Multiview Streaming, using VLC as a tool

Ustun Ozgur ustunozgur at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:15:36 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I am currently studying for a masters degree at Bilkent University, Turkey
at the electrical and electronics engineering department, working on
telecommunications. We plan to work on a project to set up an end-to-end
streaming system, and learn all the in and outs, so that we could use in
our further studies like stereoscopic or multiview coding. (Our university
is currently leading the 3D-TV project, see
https://www.3dtv-research.org/index.php)

To this end, I have decided that VLC, being open source and powerful, is
appropriate as a tool in our studies; so I will start studying the code
and hope that I might be contributing to the project as well, not just as
a free software enthusiast, but also as a professional.

I have two questions for especially the main development team, regarding
the development of the software.

1. It seems that GNU/Linux is the preferred OS on which the development is
being continued (although I have read the compiling how-tos and saw that
compiling under Windows is possible.) My question is this: Does the
development team as a whole prefer GNU/Linux ? Another aspect to my
question is the problem that some of the hardware we own has only Windows
drivers (so I am told), so that some instructors of mine have suggested
that I should prefer Windows; so I am confused. If I develop on GNU/Linux
and cross-compile, would I be able to manage to use those hardware?

2. My second question is regarding hardware. We currently have a budget of
6400 Euro's for buying a powerful computer; so that we can easily carry
out experiments without even the need for DSP's or like; i.e., we plan to
setup an end-to-end system for real time streaming of multiview video (so,
maybe we might acquire a pair of 120 fps device, and configure them to get
a 3D-ish video.) So, what are your thoughts on such a computer? Should we
buy a single, powerful one, or a cluster maybe? Personally, I have never
used such a computer, and thus am not in a position to judge whether it is
worth, especially after reading the reviews about the new Core 2 Duo
processors, which from my ignorant view of the issue seems as if they
would suffice. Any suggestion is highly welcome.

Thanks in advance, and hi once again. I hope I might, in the future, be a
developer too and help you.

Regards,

--
Ustun Ozgur