[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Software and Hardware Requirements for State-of-the-Art Research in Multiview Streaming, using VLC as a tool

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Oct 16 23:19:36 CEST 2006

Benjamin Pracht wrote:
> Le samedi 14 octobre 2006 à 00:15 +0300, Ustun Ozgur a écrit :
>

>>2. My second question is regarding hardware. We currently have a budget of
>>6400 Euro's for buying a powerful computer; so that we can easily carry
>>out experiments without even the need for DSP's or like; i.e., we plan to
>>setup an end-to-end system for real time streaming of multiview video (so,
>>maybe we might acquire a pair of 120 fps device, and configure them to get
>>a 3D-ish video.) So, what are your thoughts on such a computer? Should we
>>buy a single, powerful one, or a cluster maybe? Personally, I have never
>>used such a computer, and thus am not in a position to judge whether it is
>>worth, especially after reading the reviews about the new Core 2 Duo
>>processors, which from my ignorant view of the issue seems as if they
>>would suffice. Any suggestion is highly welcome.
>

> First of all, what do you exactly call real time streaming ? Be aware
> that VLC has never been designed for strong real time requirements. It
> will be hard to get a delay smaller then 1s. About the hardware
> question, well, I cannot answer since I don't know what you plan to do.
> However, I'm not sure a cluster is that well fit for *real time*
> processing of a high amount of data with lots of intern dependency.

The default chaches in VLC are tunable to below 1 sec streaming delay.
You have the input caching and the stream output caching that can be
tuned for instance.

vlc --v4l-caching 50 --sout-udp-caching 100 .....rest of arguments....

would give aproximately 150 ms delay in the vlc streamout chain. However
it will influency the stream out scheduling in such a way that it
generates more peaks.

gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.