[vlc-devel] Issues with Portuguese locale

Ari Constancio ari.constancio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 12:03:50 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the locale file (pt_PT.po) I've been maintaining.

The pt_PT.po has been put into the SVN trunk but the vlc.mo file
doesn't get built while compiling from source (Debian), into directory
/usr/local/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES. As such, using the
Portuguese locale, I don't get the proper translation in VLC (I get
the Brazilian one).
Binary packages also have the same problem.

It seems the build process has been missing this file.

If I compile myself the vlc.mo and put into said directory, it doesn't
work also. However, if put into /usr/local/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES
(notice the *pt*), it works as expected.
I tried also nightly binary packages in Windows. If I put vlc.mo
(manually) inside ..\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES or
..\locale\pt_PT\LC_MESSAGES, it works either way.

So, should the locale file be renamed to pt.po instead of pt_PT.po?

Thank you,
Ari Constancio