[vlc-devel] Re: Status of firefox and/or activeX plugins

Jonas A. Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Fri Sep 22 10:15:51 CEST 2006

> I am also pushing for plugin development...
> I made a simple spec for an ideal feature set:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Firefox_Ogg_Support
> made a working demo of the embed controls using javascript:
> http://metavid.ucsc.edu/bleeding_edge/test3.html
> and I have downloaded the vlc source code and hopefully I will have some
> time to get familiar with the code base and contribute in that area.
> I have also been trying to push the firefox developers to move forward
> on native ogg support in firefox.
> http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/browse_thread/thread/e
> 56c81f0d078e268/47f7f7ffc5bfc9bc
>
> We should have a better open video support in web browsers soon :)

Well for my self at least, it really isn't about having an open source
alternative for website creators. For me it is entirely about having an
alternative to using a windows pc. Currently embedded streaming (which is
pretty much all streaming) on Linux doesn't work with vlc. As far as I can
tell the vlc plugins only work if u write html pages to use it specifically,
and this is what I don't get. As far as I could read out of hartmans
response, there is pretty much no big technical blockers for making vlc
impersonate being wmp or qtp. We can already play the vast majority of flash
and wmv files, so my question was again: What's required for firefox or
other browsers to be able to use the vlc plugin for ALL embedded streaming
on webpage's?

Maybe Damien, who more or ,masterminded the plugins, could list what's
missing for vlc (both activeX and firefox plugin) to be able to "takeover" a
browser and be used for all streaming.

Best regards

E-bola

PS: I LOVE VLC!