[vlc-devel] Re: nOoB for RTCP

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat Sep 23 15:54:49 CEST 2006

Tai-Sim Yeoh wrote:
> Hello,
>         I'm looking to contribute to the VLC (RTCP specifically) project.
> Please let me know how I can start/help. My background is in C and C++ and
> been doing embedded development for cell phones for the past 6 yrs. Looking
> for any possible open source projects in networking/communication area.
>
>          Please let me know if I can help/contribute to your project. I'm
> very new to this open source dev etc.......  If you already have enough
> help
> let me know also so that I can contact other open source projects.
>
>          Thanks.
>
> Tai

For RTCP support there is a branch svn.videolan.org/branches/0.8.6-rtcp
it implements the RFC 3550 from IETF. The current status is:

To start working checkout the RTCP branch at:

svn co svn.videolan.org/vlc/branches/0.8.6-rtcp

In the directory modules/mux/rtp is the source code.

What has been done:
- partial implementation of RFC 3550 (except RTCP scheduling code)
- RTCP packet decoding and encoding function (not tested and not
compiled) Apart from compiler errors this should be fairly complete. No
quarantee though ;-)
- Some higher level scheduling algorithms (not entirely finished)

What should be done:
1- Read RFC 3550 (http://www.ietf.org)
2- VLC Coding Style ;-)
3- RTCP streamout VLC module (get session information from RTSP/HTTP)
4- common server socket listening code to be shared with RTSP/HTTP/RTCP
5- Compiling/building
6- Testing against VLC's live555 module
7- testing against live RTP/RTCP servers.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman