[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19640 (oaubert)

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Tue Apr 3 10:29:26 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> > You should only use that on p_libvlc's children (ie not the modules, but
> > all the other VLC instances). Else you'll end up returning a pointer to
> > a module object ... which is useless to the average user. (Unless
> The average user is not concerned here. The vlcinternal python module
> exposes the internal object structure of VLC, which is of interest to
> developers only. It is not built by default (with
> --enable-python-bindings) anyway.

Well the issue i was worried about is this:
vlc --sub-filter marq <somevideo> creates an object with name "marq" in
the libvlc children tree. (Since we didn't assign a name with the
marq at name syntax)
vlc_object_find_name will return a pointer to that marq instance (making
it easy to check if a marq instance is runing)

If you also use the find on the libvlc_global children tree, you might
end up returning a pointer to the marq module (in cache), and not the
marq instance.

So basicaly: you have to be sure that it won't be looking in the
libvlc_global tree. (Of course you'll be ok if you assign unique names
to the obects yourself)

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea