[vlc-devel] Re: Possible UDP/RTP streaming bug

Dugal Harris dugalh at protoclea.co.za
Fri Apr 13 14:25:11 CEST 2007

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Dugal Harris wrote:
>> Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>>> This is not a bug. What you see is that the network is saturated
>>> when using MJPEG images of 1600x1200. The network drops UDP/RTP
>>> packets on the floor when it saturates.
>>>
>>> The resolution is to lower the quality of the image by either using
>>> smaller sized images or transcoding to a lower bitrate.
>>>
>>> Gtz,
>>> Jean-Paul Saman.
>>
>> Thanks.  This seems unlikely though - the source MJPG video is about
>> 15Mbs which I am streaming over an idle 100Mbs network.  Another
>> thing I found, that suggests a bug, is when I stream over HTTP and
>> encapsulate with ASF, it works fine but if I stream over HTTP and
>> encapsulate with TS I get the same problems.  So it seems like it is
>> a problem with TS encapsulation and not UDP / RTP packet loss.
>>
>> Regards
>> Dugal
>>
> well you sure lose packets and usually that is caused by the network.
> Although you only send us the logging from the client side. To rule
> out a problem on the vlc server side (eg: muxer) we need info about
> your exact commandline, os and vlc logging.
>
> Gtz,
> Jean-Paul Saman.

Hi

Thanks for the help.  Attached are server and client logs for a test run
exhibiting the described problem.  The server seems quite happy while
streaming but the client reports errors (the server and client are on
the same PC).  I am using the GUI with server side streaming options
":sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=:1234}}".

Regards
Dugal