[vlc-devel] Re: [streaming] RTSP Proxy

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Apr 24 15:06:00 CEST 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:17:22 +0200, "jf massol" <jf.massol at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes of course it would be trivial to use a RTSP server but it's only a
> RTSP proxy. The purpose is our architecture is to forward clients' RTSP
> requests through a RTSP proxy but the VOD server has to send directly
> media streams to the client (MpegTS over UDP). I guess RTSP requests
> contains clients' adresses and these ones are forwarded and translated by
> the RTSP server (the RTSP protocol used isn't normalised). The VOD server
> sends media streams to the proxy instead of clients.

Your architecture is fundamentally flawed.

VLC RTSP purposedly only accept sending media packets to the address which
made the RTSP/TCP control connection, much like an anonymous FTP server. If
it did not do so, it would be possible to trick the media to someone else
which is essentially a denial of service/voice hammer attack.

Therefore, we cannot allow your RTSP proxy to specify a different address
than its own to receive the media, until a strong authentication mechanism
for media transport address such as STUN gets implemented on both client
and server side.

http://www.remlab.net/