[vlc-devel] Metadata overflow

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon Aug 20 04:46:25 CEST 2007

Hello,

I don't see why having much types is a problem. it makes easier to
track what are the possible known values.

I would tend to like to go for everything in the dictionary, while
keeping the vlc_meta_t around but having it as a string. That would
be really nice in the API Side.

My only concern would be the fact that we (I) am not sure of the
vlc_dictionary_t performance, and especially its hash function.
Though in theory, in the best cases we are in O(1) in all operations
(adding, getting).

But existing solution is definitely faster than the hash table in all
cases. Yet some benchmark would be nice.

On 20 août 07, at 04:29, Rafaël Carré wrote:

>     Title
>     Artist
>     Genre
>     *Copyright
>     Album
>     TrackNumber
>     *Description
>     *Rating (implementing a rating system would be a good idea, but
> somehow difficult)
>     Date
>     *Setting
>     URL
>     Language
>     *NowPlaying (maybe useful in interfaces)

This one is used a lot, but should be deleted I think.

>     *Publisher
>     *EncodedBy
>     ArtworkURL
>     *TrackID (could be used in album art downloading, but atm other
> methods are used)

Pierre.