[vlc-devel] UPnP AV Media Server Implementation - again

Knudsen, Timor t-knudsen at ti.com
Tue Aug 7 10:03:01 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I'll need to implement a UPnP AV Media Server within VLC. I already
searched the archives, and there have been several attempts to implement
UPnP Server functionality, but all unsuccessful (as far as I know /
please tell me if I am wrong).

Since I need the UPnP Server in an embedded Linux environment, I'll use
pure C (no C++ code, therefore CyberLink/C++ is not an option, where
CyberLink/C probably is). Is CyberLink still regarded "crap", as it has
been said before? Do you prefer libupnp or CyberLink?

Another question rises when it comes to the actual implementation. I
think that the UPnP Server should be an enhancement of the VLM. But
should there be a new media type ("vod", "broadcast"), called "upnp" for
media that is available over UPnP? Or should the UPnP Server be a
replacement for the RTSP server ("vod server"), hijacking the "vod"
media type?

Thanks for your answers in advance,

Timor