[vlc-devel] [RFC] EIT character sets conversion

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Aug 30 23:44:21 CEST 2007

	Hello,

I have a few doubts concerning EITConvertToUTF8 (from
modules/demux/ts.c). I have no access to the relevant specifications,
neither to real-life streams using that.

First, if the "string" starts with \x10\x00, it appears we assume the
third byte codes the number of an ISO_8859 character set. Is there any
reason why this is limited to the range 1-15? As of now, there is also
ISO_8859-16 (a.k.a. "Latin-10"), and who knows if more will not be
added.

Second, if the string starts with \x11, we assume the rest is a sequence
of UTF-16. That being noted, iconv reckons three different kind of
UTF-16. I am not sure, but I believe "UTF-16" needs a Byte-Order-Mark at
the beginning, otherwise "UTF-16LE" and "UTF16-BE" must be used when
the byte endianess is arbitrarily specified.

Help wanted.

http://www.remlab.net/