[vlc-devel] [RFC] EIT character sets conversion

Sigmund Augdal sigmund.augdal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:38:42 CEST 2007

On 8/31/07, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > I have a few doubts concerning EITConvertToUTF8 (from
> > modules/demux/ts.c). I have no access to the relevant specifications,
> > neither to real-life streams using that.
> French TNT uses such descriptors and EITConvertToUTF8 is needed for
> them.
>
> > First, if the "string" starts with \x10\x00, it appears we assume the
> > third byte codes the number of an ISO_8859 character set. Is there any
> > reason why this is limited to the range 1-15? As of now, there is also
> > ISO_8859-16 (a.k.a. "Latin-10"), and who knows if more will not be
> > added.
> >
> > Second, if the string starts with \x11, we assume the rest is a sequence
> > of UTF-16. That being noted, iconv reckons three different kind of
> > UTF-16. I am not sure, but I believe "UTF-16" needs a Byte-Order-Mark at
> > the beginning, otherwise "UTF-16LE" and "UTF16-BE" must be used when
> > the byte endianess is arbitrarily specified.
> It is described in EN 300 468 (DVB: Specification of Service Information
> in
> DVB Systems) Annexe A (Selection of Charactere table).
> [snip...]

This is from an outdated version of the spec. I think perhaps the one I
first used when  I implemented it.
Version 1.7.1 of the spec is the latest  release (at least it was this
morning).

Notes:
> For the first case, in real life ISO 8859-1 is used intead of ISO6937.
> (Commentary from modules/access/dvb/en50221.c where you will find a the
> original function)

I'm quite sure I've seen both. Not sure how to deal with that. I think the
best way is to
comply with the spec and hopefully the broadcasters will start to format
their strings properly
as the older STBs are faced out. At least one can hope.

Sigmund

About UTF-16, I have never seen it used. UTF-16 allows to insert a marker