[vlc-devel] Accessing the demux Control at the interface level ? (re: RTSP trickplay)

Glen Gray slaine at slaine.org
Wed Dec 5 13:20:33 CET 2007

Hey Guys,

As part of an IRC discussion on how to make my RTSP Trickplay patches
integrate better, I suggested that one option would be for the interface
to query the Demux Control function with HAS_TRICKPLAY parameter. If it
does, the the FastForward/Rewind controls in that interface can set the
scaling values accordingly.

I do something like the above at the moment but my patch relies on a
preference being set to enable RTSP scaled trickplay. If that option is
set then I set the rate value accordingly at the interface level. This
in turn triggers the INPUT_SET_RATE callback code in src/input/input.c.
 From there, I can query the demux to ensure it has trickplay support,
if so then I call demux2_Control(DEMUX_SET_SCALE.....) otherwise normal
SET_RATE code proceeds.

It was expressed that it would be desirable to do away with the
preference option. So my suggestion seems like a good solution,
unfortunately, I can't see how I can "cleanly" make it work. I'm pretty
busy working on something else at the moment, but wanted to get back to
it shortly. So I'm looking for some suggestions from more experienced
VLC developers on what's the best approach to take here.

Cheers,

--
Glen Gray (slaine at slaine.org)