[vlc-devel] Branching?

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Wed Dec 19 22:26:42 CET 2007

Le Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:04:34 +0100,
Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> A few days ago, everything was almost fine on the nightlies.

A proof we are progressing !

> Then windows file reading was broken.
>
> Then there were all the good changes in modules, and then the changes
> on configuration.
>
> Now, windows build segfault on VLC_CPU() at start, the preferences
> categories are broken on qt, on mac, and on wx.
>
> Don't get me wrong, this is not that the changes are bad, this is just
> that we should discuss what to do.
>
> Is this easily fixable soon and we can really freeze:
>  - windows segfault
>  - file reading on windows
I won't bash the OS, I will bash the lack of developer for this
platform.
>  - preferences on all categories ?
I believe since the core changed, the preferences need to use another
API.

> Should we branch before all those changes after 22577 or something and
> let all the core changes for 0.9.1 ?

I'm against branching

> I don't really care, if we can fix the problems in a non-too distant
> future.
Don't forget there is still a lot of work to do before a release, so I
believe 'not too distant' is a lot of time, so broken code can remain
in trunk/ (the things you are screaming for have been committed in the
past 3 days, not that much).

> If we can't, then I suggest we branch and freeze at least the core
> parts.
>
> Bashing someone, or bashing a bad OS is fun but is not going to
> improve anything... So please stay calm.

I AM VERY CALM, OK ????

> Best Regards,

It is a good intention, but I believe a wrong method to branch now.

--
Rafaël Carré