[vlc-devel] Re: [patch] Re: vlc-plugin-esd: Not working when using a remote server

Cyril Brulebois cyril.brulebois at enst-bretagne.fr
Mon Feb 5 21:30:52 CET 2007

Nirgal Vourgère <dbug399278 at nirgal.com> (24/01/2007):
> Hi Cyril

Hi Nirgal and thanks for your patch.

> Here is a workaound: You can "export ESPEAKER=your_esd_host" and use
> vlc --aout=sdl ...

I set it up directly inside the Preferences dialog, which shouldn't be
very different... ;)

> If anyone want to test, remember to run your esd with options such as
> -tcp -public -promiscuous see /etc/esound/esd.conf and don't blame me
> if anyone can record your mic ;)

I only used -tcp -public, since there was no -promiscuous option in the
manpage, and that looked sufficient at first glance. :-)

> You'll find a fix attached to this mail.
>
> It only fixes the crashing stuff and a memory leak, but my guess is
> that the whole latency computation is... let's say weird. Why are we
> timing esd_get_server_info if we later use esd_get_latency? And why
> only when host is remote?

Well, it works fine (sound sent and received) but after some dozens of
seconds, the playback stops (on a frozen image). I don't have currently
the time to dig further, but you're welcome to ping me in some time to
get better feedback.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois