[vlc-devel] VLC Stream Forwarding Latency Measurement

Andrzej Palczewski palczews at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 6 22:45:53 CET 2007

Hi,

            I'm starting a project to measure the latency of a video frame
when forwarded with VLC.  I have three computers:

Server -----> Video Router ----> Client

The server streams a video to the "video router", the router then receives
it and streams it to the monitor and to another client.

There are two main difficulties:

1.	Create a data structure to correspond incoming frames to outgoing
frames in the router. (Create a global frame number)
2.	Modify the networking source to send that global frame number at the
start of every packet

Then, I will be able to intercept that frame number in the kernel network
code and mark the statistics.

I'm still getting familiar with the VLC source, would any of you guys have
some pointers on where in the code I can create and implement the global
frame number, and where I can modify the network code to add the global
frame number to packets?

-Andrzej