[vlc-devel] Re: localization for Urdu

Huda Sarfraz huda.sarfraz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 06:47:00 CET 2007

Thanks for the file. I translated a few strings but I couldn't figure out
how to test them.

This is what I did:
I saved the .po file and poEdit generated a .mo file. I renamed it to vlc.mo,
made a folder named 'ur'  in VideoLAN\VLC\locale where I have VLC player
0.8.6a installed and tried to see if Urdu had come up as an option in
Settings->Preferences->Interface->Language, and it hadn't.

Am I testing it with the wrong version?

Do I need to compile the source along with the .mo file to be enable VLC
player to recognize my language? If yes, then do I need to rebuild it every
time I update the .po and .mo file? If I need to rebuild it every time then
I should figure out how to do it myself, I found instructions here:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileCygwin

What is the recommended way to do this? I would like to have a VLC installer
which has Urdu as a language option when the translations are complete. I
tried to look for localization guidelines but this was all I could find:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/vlc-howto.html

Thanks,
Huda.