[vlc-devel] Re: python bindings - get_media_position

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Tue Feb 20 11:56:30 CET 2007

> I am trying to use vlc through the python bindings. It seems that,
> using the newapi, get_media_position doesn't give the correct position
> after having seeked backwards.
> For example: play a video up to point b, then seek back to point a
> (thus a < b). While the actual playing video is between a and b
> get_media_position returns b, instead of the actual position. After
> having passed point b get_media_position returns the correct value.
It is not a bug in the python bindings, but rather a bug in the MPEG1
demuxer or codec. I have had the same issue with MPEG1 streams, but
other movie formats work correctly.

The mediacontrol API (and python binding) relies on
libvlc_input_set_time/libvlc_input_get_time to set/get the position, so
I guess that even a C program using the libvlc API with the same MPEG1
movie will exhibit the same bug.

Olivier