[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r18945 (fenrir)

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Thu Feb 22 20:16:54 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007, Clément Stenac wrote:

> >Control variables are now created even for preparse, only callback are not
> >added.
> >(This fix use of uninitialized variables)
> >
> In my tests, totally skipping creation of control variables had a
> significant impact on preparsing speed. However, I had not broken down
> the time between var_Create and var_AddCallback. Do you have any figures
> on this ?
 I didn't test the speed, but control variables are currently needed(eg: es_out.c)

 As all the code in src/input assume they exist, if not you end up using
uninitialized variables (Maybe it has no side effect in this case, I have
not checked, but it's hugly).

 Of course, we could check all var_Get/var_Change return value but it would add
a lot of code or we could review/rework their usage.

--
fenrir