[vlc-devel] Re: teletext decoder new patch

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Jan 8 17:19:31 CET 2007

Le lundi 8 janvier 2007 15:44, Vincent Penne a écrit :
> Yet another version. It turned out that using iconv was a bit more
> complicated than expected (problem with endianness, and difference of
> behaviour of the library between win32 and linux), so I went back to
> the simple manual conversion routine which is guaranted to work on
> any platform.

AFAIK, we use the *same* GNU/libiconv on Win32 and Linux builds, so I
can hardly buy that they would work differently. What however does work
differently is wchar_t: glibc uses UCS-4 and Microsoft uses UCS-2. As
such, if you want to use UTF-16, you should use uint16_t, otherwise it
will fail lamely on Linux (or any other non-UCS-2 platform for that
matter).

As for endianness, iconv assumes the locally native one unless
explicitly selected (e.g. UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE instead of UTF-16).

http://www.remlab.net/