[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] VLC denial of service bugs

Skywing skywing at valhallalegends.com
Tue Jan 16 19:13:22 CET 2007

You can do similar on Windows with Structured Exception Handling (SEH).  However, I would not recommend this approach.

Even a seemingly innocent bogus read like this can sometimes lead to code execution; for example, on Windows, there is a mechanism to set a global last-chance handler (SetUnhandledExceptionFilter) for exceptions (e.g. access violations [segmentation fault in UNIX-land]).  This mechanism essentially involves a function pointer that is called when nobody has handled an exception (as would be the case with an AV due to a read on a bogus address as you have described here).

This turns out to be a bad thing because there is no way to effectively chain these last-chance handlers with eachother; the mechanism is essentially a wholesale replacement of a function pointer, in which any hook chain must be removed in the reverse order of creation or a dangling function pointer may result.

This point turns out to be bad as the Microsoft CRT, when static linked into a DLL, will always register an unhandled exception filter as part of its C++ exception handling support (no way to suppress this behavior); the end result is that in a program with many DLLs that might be demand-loaded and demand-unloaded, there is a high probability that a dangling function pointer might result.  Combined with a so-called "heap spray" attack and an "innocent", "non-exploitable" crash bug, this can turn into code execution if an attacker can allocate memory over a dangling unhandled exception filter function pointer.

Now, I don't know if this directly applies to VLC (e.g. whether your CRT has a similar behavior), but falling into the trap of "it's just a crash bug, we don't really need to worry about it" is not good at all; even if something seems like "just a crash bug", that doesn't mean that a clever attacker won't be able to do something more "interesting" with it given a bit of creative thinking.

This particular scenario may seem contrived, but it has been successfully demonstrated to be effective against real-world programs, namely, IE ( see http://www.uninformed.org/?v=4&a=5&t=sumry ).