[vlc-devel] Re: VLC skips on "reduced" MPEG2-TS streams

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Wed Jan 17 08:13:03 CET 2007

> > Yes and this is perfectly legal. It is also quite common in the field,
> > so if there was such a bug I think we'd have noticed before. Any chance
> > to have a dump, or satellite coordinates ?
>
> N24 news channel on Astra 1H (12480 V) or anything in that transpoder
> could be taken as an example.
> The debug shows quite big variations in time offsets and pictures
> skipped before decoding:

I've uploaded raw TS capture into:

ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming/skipping_mpeg2_ts/n24.ts

The timing problems disappear when I set --file-caching to 600 msec or above.
Such setting is not needed on any other MPEG2 stream we're using
(including HDTV ones).

Any ideas about the reason - wrong stream? default 300 msec file-caching
too low? synchro bug? other?

	Thanks & kind regards,

		M.