[vlc-devel] [patch] Re: vlc-plugin-esd: Not working when using a remote server

Nirgal Vourgère dbug399278 at nirgal.com
Wed Jan 24 01:49:02 CET 2007

Tags: patch

Hi Cyril

I hit the same bug here. The problem is the use of esd_get_server_info with what looks like a play-only descriptor. That call never returns.

Here is a workaound: You can "export ESPEAKER=your_esd_host" and use vlc --aout=sdl ...

If anyone want to test, remember to run your esd with options such as -tcp -public -promiscuous
see /etc/esound/esd.conf and don't blame me if anyone can record your mic ;)

You'll find a fix attached to this mail.

It only fixes the crashing stuff and a memory leak, but my guess is that the whole latency computation is... let's say weird. Why are we timing esd_get_server_info if we later use esd_get_latency? And why only when host is remote?

-- Nirgal