[vlc-devel] [RFC] Hotkeys

Pavlov Konstantin thresh at altlinux.ru
Tue Jul 3 10:27:48 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 08:22:23PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> For Win32 and *nix, and the Qt4 interface, I have assigned
> Ctrl+letter-keys to dialogs opening and hiding (menu interaction in
> general).
>
> However that conflicts with the following hotkeys in VLC:
>
> #   define KEY_SUBDELAY_UP        KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'h'
> #   define KEY_SUBDELAY_DOWN      KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'j'
> #   define KEY_AUDIODELAY_UP      KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'k'
> #   define KEY_AUDIODELAY_DOWN    KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'l'
>
> #   define KEY_DISC_MENU          KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'m'
> #   define KEY_TITLE_PREV         KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'p'
> #   define KEY_TITLE_NEXT         KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'f'
> #   define KEY_CHAPTER_PREV       KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'u'
> #   define KEY_CHAPTER_NEXT       KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'d'
>
> #   define KEY_HISTORY_BACK       KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'v'
> #   define KEY_HISTORY_FORWARD    KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'b'
> #   define KEY_RECORD             KEY_MODIFIER_CTRL|'r'
>
> I would like to change those hotkeys for these actions.
>
> I know that this change some habits, but well, this would be better,
> IMHO. Moreover, that could be a way to harmonise it and, for some of
> them make it the same as MAC, ( KEY_SUBDELAY_UP and KEY_SUBDELAY_DOWN
> are inversed in VLC-Mac ).
>
> If you are strongly against it, just scream here.

I suppose we should change some other hotkeys too like the ones we use for
jumping backward and forward on the video. They are non-obvious and
uncomfortable.

Thus, i vote for mplayer-alike scheme with arrows and PgUP/PgDown.

--
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in
the world that just don't add up.