[vlc-devel] GPLv3 again

Neil Woodall neil at woodall.occoxmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:22:30 CEST 2007

Yes, needless to say, the same goes for my comments:

My understanding would be that DRM would be located in an application
that basically runs the TV. That is, no application, no remote
control, no picture, etc...

So, if GPLv3 requires release of enough source code to run the TV,
then that would require release of the application. If the
application contains DRM algorithms, the question would be whether or
not you need to release that portion of the source code or not.

I think the point is that the anti-TIVO provision is based on forcing
developers of embedded software to release enough source code so that
in effect, the hardware can be reprogrammed as the user sees fit.

Also, does GPLv3 mean that device drivers that are not based on GPL
(i.e. entirely in house developed) need to be released?

Neil