[vlc-devel] How to integrate HW video decoder with high latency and output available in realtime?

Michael michael at tortolano.com
Fri Jun 8 16:33:11 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm adding support for a hardware MPEG4-ASP,MPEG4-AVC,MPEG2,VC1 video
decoder to VLC. For the purposes of this email I am decoding a HiDef
MPEG4-ASP AVI movie (XVid with VBR audio), and my code is based on VLC
0.8.6b running on Win32.

I've gotten fairly far along, I have the decoder running but have hit an
issue with how VLC handles the timestamping of video.

The problem I have is that none of the frames from my decoder get
displayed, because by the time the video renderer gets them they are too
late.

The hardware decoding process delays everything by about 800ms, but VLC
maps the timestamps from AVI to the system clock _before_ they are
passed to the decoder. So by the time packets have traversed the
hardware it's all too late, and the DTS on the p_block is in the past.

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this?

Thanks,

Michael.