[vlc-devel] Question regarding Streaming to Client and decoder/vlc design/function...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 16:01:46 CEST 2007

Hi All,

  I and a few others I have ran tests with vlc and are noticing an interesting behavior with the video decoders. When streaming to the client we have seen what appears to be vlc stops decoding completely when the decoder catches up to the stream. Now I have seen this behavior in other streaming clients viewers such as Quicktime and they stop decoding and give a visual indication of the download status so the user can see what has happened and decide to continue decoding by manually hitting play again when the downloading stream has downloaded enough to continue decoding. The VLC client does not show the download status so the users have no idea if the decoder stop decoding because it caught up to the stream.

  My question to the dev team is if this complete stopping of decoding of a stream at the client is expected when the decoder catches up to the stream? If so, is there some option I can use to tell the decoder to keep trying so as to verify the root cause of what people are seeing? I tried increasing the http cache size and that seemed to help a little. Is there some plans to show on the vlc client the status of the download like other streaming clients?

  Thanks,
  -Tony