[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] sanitize MRL format

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Jun 15 11:50:53 CEST 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:10:11 +0100, Damien Fouilleul
<damien.fouilleul at laposte.net> wrote:
> well, i've always been a pragmatic guy, i don't like restricting users
> more than it is strictly necessary. Regarding the MRL format, whether
> it's lame or not, i have no problem allowing format such as udp:1.2.3.4
> as long as the meaning is unambiguous, i mean firefox has no problem
> accepting file:c: and will dutifuly convert it as file:///c:/. Sometimes
> the 'right' URL format is more confusing than the lame version ;)

That works because you use a platform that has restrictions on filenames,
due to a prehistoric legacy file system hierarchy commonly known as
"drive letters".

On platforms where colon is allowed, this whole idea does not work.
And it's not theoretical: we've had a bunch of complaints about not
being able to open media files with colon into them.

And I would rather have a consistent URL handling across platforms.

http://www.remlab.net/