[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19076 (sigmunau)

Remi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Mar 1 15:41:27 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:00:47 +0100, Christophe Massiot <massiot at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007, Subversion daemon wrote:
>> r19076 | sigmunau | 2007-03-01 00:52:48 +0100 (Thu, 01 Mar 2007) | 3
> lines
>> Changed paths:
>>    M /trunk/src/misc/mtime.c
>>
>> disable clock_nanosleep for mwait for now. Fixes dvd and vob playback
>> for me.
>
> It also fixes UDP stream out for me. Thanks for taking time to look at
> it, Sigmund.

Does it freezes UDP stream output or "merely" makes it miss deadlines, or
what ? No ticket, no explanation...

In the first case, it's definitely a bad kernel bug (bad as in bug that
potentially breaks many things), is not VLC-specific and ought to be
reported to kernel bugzilla.

If it is a deadline problem, then you should rather fix the translation
from mtime_t to timespec that would be buggy. BTW, this patch does not
suppress clock_nanosleep() at all; what it actually does is add an extra
clock_gettime() call before clock_nanosleep() - which is bound to be
slower. Fortunately, a syscall is around a few µs which is well above
the mtime_t resolution of 1 ms, but that still looks weird. Also this is
adding a bug, whereby the sleep deadline gets postponed if the scheduler
yields before entering clock_nanosleep().

http://www.remlab.net/