[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19273 (jpsaman)

Clément Stenac zorglub at diwi.org
Sat Mar 10 17:52:39 CET 2007

Subversion daemon wrote:
> r19273 | jpsaman | 2007-03-10 17:39:21 +0100 (Sat, 10 Mar 2007) | 1 line
> Changed paths:
>    M /trunk/src/playlist/control.c
>    M /trunk/src/playlist/engine.c
>    M /trunk/src/playlist/search.c
>
> Don't abort when nothing found in playlist.
>  > http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/19273

I disagree with these changes that silently discard programming errors
(as well as r19276).

Maybe these assert are bogus and should be reviewed, but in that case,
please document in which cases they are bogus and in what conditions the
condition can be triggered. A nice clean assertion that can be caught in
a debugger is far better than just ignoring, potentially leading to
corruption.

For example, InputGetByID should not be called with a null root, this is
an error made by the caller that should not be handled as if we just
hadn't found it.

In 19276, !p_current should also not be null has the children of a node
are not supposed to be null, this should also be an assert rather than
silent ignore.

Same for p_item->p_meta, if an item is in the fetcher queue, it should
already have meta. Maybe there is a condition in which this is wrong,
what was it ?

If these assertions were breaking, then we must investigate why or
document why they were wrong.

Zorglub