[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19301 (courmisch)

Remi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Mar 13 08:41:19 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:44:26 +0100, Antoine Cellerier <dionoea at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007, Subversion daemon wrote:
>> DO NOT F***ING REMOVE my asserts()
>> (unless the assertion is false, which is not the case here)

> I have to agree with jpsaman here.

> The assert just can't be triggered. (Read 9 lines up)

Didn't I already confirm this fact?
What's the point of your "hint"?

For the last time, if this assertion could be triggered, THEN it would be
wrong, and THEN have to be removed/fixed:

assert: To affirm; to declare with assurance or plainly and strongly;
        to state positively; to aver; to asseverate.

Well, I declare with assurance that i_len > 0 (or whatever the assert was).

> If you want to keep it clear for future generations who want to edit the
> code, add a comment.

AFAIK, never was it stated that assertions are meant to ONLY check the input.
It's as well, if actually not *rather* meant to check the internal path/flow
of a function, since the way it prints its error message is clearly optimized
toward error occuring in the same function as the assertion rather than the
caller.

You are allowed to have a narrow understanding of assert(). But do not force
it under other people, and do not call people who disagree with you childish.

> And please stop the childish behavior.

Zorglub and I have been explaining that this was right; jpsaman acknowledges
and then re-commits the same useless stuff AGAIN. And I AM the one who is
being qualified as childish!!

You are being completely disrespectful to zorglub, me and our work.

I really have had enough with this discussion (which on top of that, is a
rehash of a much older discussion on IRC). Keep trolling on how dumb my
programming, commit log style, and I are if you like, but don't involve me.

http://www.remlab.net/