[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19402 (fenrir)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Mar 25 20:13:49 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 25 mars 2007 20:50, Laurent Aimar a écrit :
>  Now, I have seen that you decided to block it before waiting for
> comments.Fine. But:
>  - it's not really portable. Until POSIX.1-2001 ignoring SIGCHLD was
> disallowed (and was creating zombies, man sigaction)

You are mixing "blocking" a signal with "ignoring" a signal. I will fix
the signal table name to avoid futher confusion.

>  - calls to system() will always report failure.

With ignoring yes. With blocking, it works fine.

>  - I don't know for exec (we use it in http) but it is likely it will
> do the same. (and by ignoring SIGCHLD our vlc_exec seems to loop
> forever)

Same thing. waitpid() works fine if SIGCHLD is blocked. It would suck if
SIGCHLD were ignored.

In addition to the fact that waitpid() still works when SIGCHLD is
blocked, SIGCHLD will actually still be dequeued from our signal
handling thread (which is meant for this) instead of messing up with
innocent third party threads.

http://www.remlab.net/