[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19511 (pdherbemont)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Mar 28 16:55:25 CEST 2007

Le mercredi 28 mars 2007 15:41, Damien Fouilleul a écrit :
> As far as i know an absolute URL starting with / is invalid, and even
> assuming that it corresponds to a UNIX path is also against the
> purpose of URL which strives to be system agnostic.

Yes.

> I would agree with pierre's implementation in that case, which assumes
> that an Location URL starting with / must be relative, and therefore
> replaces the current absolute URL path with that one (even though it
> can contradict the specification). This approach is better than just
> ignoring the URL, one must be pragamatic and not dogmatic when
> dealing with network protocols.

No, this approach completely sucks.

1/ There is a reason why the spec says that (and I do not pretend to be
more intelligent than the ones who wrote it).
2/ This bug-to-bug fix is assuming VLC is using http://, so far
instance, there now is a security bug if TLS was used. That's precisely
the kind of reasons why quick-and-dirty bug-to-bug fixes suck.

http://www.remlab.net/