[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19511 (pdherbemont)

Damien Fouilleul Damien.Fouilleul at laposte.net
Wed Mar 28 20:43:40 CEST 2007

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le mercredi 28 mars 2007 15:41, Damien Fouilleul a écrit :
>
>> As far as i know an absolute URL starting with / is invalid, and even
>> assuming that it corresponds to a UNIX path is also against the
>> purpose of URL which strives to be system agnostic.
>>

> Yes.
>

>> I would agree with pierre's implementation in that case, which assumes
>> that an Location URL starting with / must be relative, and therefore
>> replaces the current absolute URL path with that one (even though it
>> can contradict the specification). This approach is better than just
>> ignoring the URL, one must be pragamatic and not dogmatic when
>> dealing with network protocols.
>>

> No, this approach completely sucks.
>
> 1/ There is a reason why the spec says that (and I do not pretend to be
> more intelligent than the ones who wrote it).

I have implemented all types of network protocols in the past few years,
most of them were early draft, so one can excuse  inconsistencies, but i
remember having to implement a DCHP server based on 10 year old
protocol; my initial code was completely standard compliant, and that
was way I couldn't get one DHCP client to register properly, the reason
was that the clients were breaking the protocol, so if followed your
approach (all or nothing) then my server could never haved worked. This
is why i 'm saying one has to be pragmatic, a spec is rarely followed to
the letter, especially if no certification of any kind is involved.
> 2/ This bug-to-bug fix is assuming VLC is using http://, so far
> instance, there now is a security bug if TLS was used. That's precisely
> the kind of reasons why quick-and-dirty bug-to-bug fixes suck.

I agree with that point, in order to process the relative URL properly,
we need to have a reference absolute URL, if we can't get it. then we
should drop the request altogether.