[vlc-devel] Re: [Patch] better support for more recent pvr: drivers

Paul Corke paul.corke at datatote.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 23:12:33 CEST 2007

Antoine Cellerier wrote:

:: jpsaman commented on your patch but i'm not sure that
:: you got the answer since you're not on the list.

I am on the list, but our corporate spam checker ate the
message :(

On Tue 27/03/2007 08:52, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

> > The videodev2.h file is copied from the ivtv sources.
>
> Please don't do that, just create a check for videodev2.h in
> configure.ac when pvr is selected.

The original vlc (eg 0.8.6) has a copy of videodev2.h in the
modules/access/ directory.  If I check in configure for the
system copy of videodev2.h then:

1) I have to make sure that pvr.c does not use the old
   videodev2.h in modules/access/ (easy: just delete that
   file)

2) A vlc built on an older machine with an older
   /usr/include/linux/videodev2.h would not be able to
   compile in features that are needed on a newer kernel
   / ivtvdriver.  The build would have to be on a new machine.

3) In my build environment (Fedora Core 5 with 2.6.20-1.2300.fc5)
   trying to build my patched pvr.c using the system
   /usr/include/linux/videodev2.h does not work because
   it is too old a version of the file!

Unless there is a way around this, I think we're stuck
with using a local copy of videodev2.h :(

> I found some minor improvements for readibility. See the
> code below.

Ok, I'm happy to make those cosmetic changes.  I would
justify my preference for "++p_controls->count;" to
your "p_controls->count++;" because I usually write in
C++ and pre-increment is more efficient there!

>  but perhaps the original author can comment also?

Yes please!

Paul.