[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19358 (jpsaman)

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat Mar 31 16:53:29 CEST 2007

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> r19358 | jpsaman | 2007-03-19 22:17:09 +0100 (Mon, 19 Mar 2007) | 1 line
>> Changed paths:
>>    M /trunk/extras/contrib/src/Patches/live-starttime.patch
>>    M /trunk/modules/demux/live555.cpp
>>
>> Bumped up version number of live555 to a ridiculous 9999999999 so it doesn't
>> conflict with the official live555 releases.
>> This is a temporary hack till RTSP seeking is solved properly.
>
> I'm working on a seek implementation for rtsp streams in mplayer and I wonder
> why you removed this feature from vlc?

The feature is not removed but wasn't working properly. While
investigating the problem the team discovered that VLC and Live555 where
actually doing the wrong thing. Thus we decided to reimplement it from
scratch.

> If I call playMediaSession() in live555, the expected seek happens - what is
> wrong with it?

Try it a few times and your sync will be lost completely. For some
streams it will work OK, for others (From DSS) it will fail horribly
after some time. The implementation is only partial atm.

Use 0.8.6a for RTSP seeking in production and normal use. Only if you
experience problems with RTSP seeking in vlc-0.8.6a then try out
vlc-trunk. And report success or failure (including version, context and
streaming server against which you tested).

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.