[vlc-devel] Ideas for peerless jvlc bindings

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 01:12:17 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

  I am looking for the fastest way to create what is called a peerless java class. This way I can remove (side-step) issues with the jre trying to remove the reference to the windows handle (the peer) for vlc. My conclusion so far is it may be possible if I:

  1. Use a modified version of fb.c (in the video_output module).
  2. Have the java class pass the buffer size info.
  3. Do a callback to the java class using jni and pass through the image array.
  4. Create an image object to supply to java 2d image buffer and repaint.

  I already started but had a question to the vlc team.

  1. Is this possible?
  2. Do you think it will work?

  The jvlc team is looking at my suggestion but not sure what kind of issues I will run into with the vlc code. I am already wondering if my jfb.c (fb.c) should do the callback in the display function or go through some type of adaptor class.

  These code changes will free me up from windows code and get rid of the peer issues that are causeing me undue pain I hope.

  Regards,
  -Tony