[vlc-devel] Python bindings and vlc API generally

NeBlackCat (lists) lists at asd-group.com
Sun May 13 05:28:25 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm new to VLC and this is my first post. I was looking for a media
library to use myself in some homebrew projects, found VLC, and like it
enough so far that I may well try and help out on VLC itself once I
learn a bit about it.

In the meanwhile I have a question about using it as an API/library,
probably through the Python bindings.

 From what I've read so far, it seems that APIs are only provided to
control the VLC application (make it play things, access the playlist
and so on), the so called "MediaControlAPI".

I was hoping to find Python-accessible APIs to get information from
audio files (metadata, length, encoding type, etc) for my own Python
scripts to use, without actually playing anything or loading VLC.EXE.

Does anyone know if there will be a way to do that, at some stage?