[vlc-devel] Re: Proper separation of GUI and engine

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun May 13 13:38:48 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 13 mai 2007, NeBlackCat (lists) a écrit :
> Hello again,
>
> I was wondering, are there any plans to properly "libraryize" VLC so
> that it is a shared library with a comprehensive, well defined API
> that provides access to all of it's functionality, and a separate
> GUI(s)?

We already have libvlc as a shared object.

The only and main problem is that the API/ABI is a bit unstable from
version to version. However, addressing this is a huge work which does
not bring any user-visible improvement, so it is not going to happen.

The media control API is a compromise that gives access to the basics
through a more stable API/ABI, and that's probably what you are looking
for.

In any case, this is GPL'd work, which is probably why big players are
putting money to LPGL'd gstreamer instead of Xine, Mplayer and VLC.

http://www.remlab.net/