[vlc-devel] Re: Multiple instances of vlc have incorrect instance references (vlc on windows unstable?)

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 07:33:26 CEST 2007

Hi Filippo,

  I figured out what causes the crash and why you might want to think about the change in destroy() method for JVLC.java.
  Seems whenever destroy is called a second time on the libvlc it causes the jvm to crash from what I could tell in the thread dumps. It will always be called a second time because of the finalize method for the jvlc class.
  So in the finalize class you might want to consider detecting if destroy was already called. If not then call the destroy method.

  So for the finalize() method I did this:

  /*
  * (non-Javadoc)
  *
  * @see java.lang.Object#finalize()
  */
  protected void finalize() throws Throwable {
  if(!beingDestroyed) {
  destroy();
  }
  super.finalize();
  }

  Seems to work well.

  Regards,
  -Tony

Filippo Carone <filippo at carone.org> wrote:
  Tony Anecito ha scritto:
> Hi Filippo,
>
> Are you going to verify the destroy method logic? I had someone
> verify the method was correct for the 8.6 but somehow the logic since
> then has been changed such that destroy will not work.

There was an error actually, which should now be fixed (_destroy was
never called in destroy...).

> There are still issues to be resolved like streaming for
> instance. Have you fixed that yet? I was hoping you would have that
> resolved by now so others can use steaming via the api. I am getting
> more emails from people that want to use the jvlc api but there are a
> few important issues left to resolve like streaming.

If for streaming you mean VLM, I mailed the vlc developer who started
the rework of VLM to check what is the current status of the job. Just
be patient for a few days still.

Cheers,
Filippo