[vlc-devel] JVLC & Streaming

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 01:51:34 CEST 2007

Hi Filippo,

  I was planning on just adding a url into the playlist for a video and expecting it to just stream the video to the canvas. Should I expect that to work? I tried it in the past and the video did not appear and the application appeared to lock up under Windows.

  The vlc client for windows has a separate tab after you select "Open Network Stream..." from the File menu item and then select the radio button for HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS then enter in url and it works just fine. Is there another way I should do the same thing with the jvlc api? I was assuming that if you add to the playlist then call the playlist.play() the video will start to stream. I was thinking the vlc api was called and it parsed out the protocol and started the streaming to the Canvas via a window handle provided by Reparenting like the video for a local file.

  I should be done tonight with my application. There will need to be changes to the JVLCCanvas to store the canvas size, playlist in an HashMap before the destroy in the removeNotify and also the position of the movie if it is playing. Then in the addNotify() restore the Canvas size, playlist and movie play position. I will send you the update for that info after I have added and tested that functionality. Then I will be ready to try recommendations for how to setup and execute streaming at the client. If you have ideas on how that should work please let me know.

  Regards,
  -Tony

Filippo Carone <filippo at carone.org> wrote:
  Tony Anecito ha scritto:
> Hi Filippo,
>
> Are you going to verify the destroy method logic? I had someone
> verify the method was correct for the 8.6 but somehow the logic since
> then has been changed such that destroy will not work.

There was an error actually, which should now be fixed (_destroy was
never called in destroy...).

> There are still issues to be resolved like streaming for
> instance. Have you fixed that yet? I was hoping you would have that
> resolved by now so others can use steaming via the api. I am getting
> more emails from people that want to use the jvlc api but there are a
> few important issues left to resolve like streaming.

If for streaming you mean VLM, I mailed the vlc developer who started
the rework of VLM to check what is the current status of the job. Just
be patient for a few days still.

Cheers,
Filippo