[vlc-devel] Re: FEC

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue May 15 17:55:00 CEST 2007

[Moved to vlc-devel at videolan.org]

	Hello,

Le mardi 15 mai 2007, vous avez écrit :
> I want to incorporate some forward error-correcting codes (FEC) to
> the vlc source code.  Can someone provide some insight as to where in
> the source code I can add this?

Cool. The answer depends on which layer you intend to put error
correction.

Some FEC protects against the corruption some bits within a datagram (or
on permanent storage), while I think others are meant to recover
entirely lost frames (whatever that means).

Depending on that, if I understand the FEC concept, it could presumably
be done in a:
  (client-side)   (server-side)
- access plugin & access output plugin, e.g. RTP)
- demux plugin  & mux plugin, e.g. MPEG-TS)
-          codec plugins, e.g. H264)

Regards;

http://www.remlab.net/